Saturday, August 28, 2010

Eating, Swimming, and Skyping. 4/116

The title of today's blog pretty much sums up how I've spent my time in Madrid so far. Sounds boring, huh? are you sure that you still want to read about it?! Today, Elena got called in to work, so I stayed at home with the kids. We woke up late - around 10:30 or 11. By the time we finished up breakfast, it was almost noon, so we went outside and went swimming. Shortly thereafter, the RHOM's started trickling outside, one-by-one and the alcohol followed right after the circle of lawn chairs was formed. We swam for a few hours and then went back inside to, yep you guessed it, to eat! I fixed hamburgers (in a skillet - grills are uncommon here), and we had leftover pasta/green beans, plus tomatoes and olives. For dessert it was fruit once again. I forgot to mention that after breakfast, I stuck a load of laundry in. After I cleaned up the kitchen, I went downstairs and took the clothes out of the washer and hung them up to dry. Yes, people in Spain hang their clothes outside. The funny thing is, most people own dryers, but choose to be eco-friendly, and don't use the dryers when the weather is appropriate. It reminds me of my great-grandmother, Mamaw. I remember visiting her during the summers and when it was hot and dry outside, we would take the clothes from the washer, put them in the laundry basket, head out into the garage, grab the cloth bag full of clothespins, and proceed to the wires that were hanging behind the house. I had so much fun, taking the clothes off the line, and hanging the wet ones up to dry. She too, had a dryer, but it was only used when it was too cold outside. I used to think that she lined dried her clothes because she was old, but now I am so proud that my great-grandmother was such a "green" person fifteen years ago. She was ahead of the times! I know she is smiling down on me from heaven and she has every right to, since she was the one who taught me how to dry my clothes this way. I don't think it's crazy at all. It's very nostalgic to me.

After round 2 of swimming, we came inside. The kids and myself have spent so many hours at the pool this week, all of us are a few shades darker. We all rested and then we walked to a park that is a short walk from the house. This park was so beautiful. Elena told me that a count or some other kind of dignitary used to own the land. The grounds are full of different buildings - a boathouse, a building that was used solely for dances, a house - and a pond, a stream, and several gazebos, benches, and foot bridges. I can't wait to go back with my camera! Elena and I talk mainly in Spanish. She is helping me get back in the groove of speaking Spanish. I can already tell a difference in the few days I've been here. I am using the correct tenses when talking, which was a huge problem for me at first. I still have to think in my head what I want to say, but I know that in just a few weeks, that will no longer be an issue.

Dinner was delicious - Elena sauteed tomatoes, onions, and tuna in a pan. This was only my second time having a filet of tuna and not eating it out of the can. I had a Skype date with my parents. Mimi, unfortunately couldnt make it because she wasn't feeling well, but Mom called her on speakerphone and we talked. I was also surprised to see my Uncle Bart on the video camera. Skype is wonderful. I really feel that I'm talking to them and that we're in the same room.

Since Elena had to work today, I didn't get to go play putt-putt with the church that I am trying to get involved with. An American friend from two years ago attended a church called Oasis Madrid (for those of you who want to look it up!), so I joined their email list. Once a month, they have a social outing. It was probably a good thing that I didn't go, however. The putt-putt place is right next to a shopping center and the least thing I need to do right now is to discover another mall....Anyways, I spoke with the woman who was coordinating the event and she and I are going to meet Monday. I'm so excited! Since I am here for at least the next year, I find it very important that I get involved and have a life here in Madrid. I am looking forward to meeting new people and making friends.

Tomorrow I am going to visit Sol, whom I say is my Spanish mother. I lived with her the last time I was here and I love her to death. I will be moving back  in with her in January. She is so excited to see me! And I can't wait to see what she is cooking for lunch tomorrow!

Oh, I slept with my little fan on last night and it makes such a huge difference! I slept great last night and stayed cool all night!

Mom has started counting down the days until I am home for Christmas. We have 116 days to go. I will start a running count on the blog! The first number in the title is how many days I've been here, the second number is how many days are left until I fly home for Christmas! Hard to believe that when I come back home, it will be winter!

Quote of the Day: To the world you may be only one person, but to one person you may be the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment