Wednesday, December 22, 2010

I'll Be Home For Christmas 120/0.

Wow. I cannot believe that in just a few hours, I will be boarding the plane so I can spend Christmas in Louisville. It seems like just yesterday when I was a nervous wreck, saying goodbye to my parents and grandmother. And now, December 23rd has arrived. These past four months have been amazing and I am looking forward to returning to Madrid in January. But I am also anxious to see my family. After just four short months, I can really call Madrid home. Weird, huh?

Tonight, we had a dinner at school (work) for all of the teachers and administration. It was so much fun! We had a lovely dinner - appetizers, two courses, then dessert, followed by an after-dinner drink, which was followed by coffee or tea. I was beyond full. I really enjoyed the time. I sat at a table where I was only familiar with one person, so I got to know several new people. The highlight of the evening was the re-enactment of the birth of Christ. We had a manger set in the building and there were costumes. Apparently, it's tradition that each table dresses up and acts out the scene. However, in an initiation type thing, the nuvotos (the newbies) are the judges, and then they have to perform last. It was pure comedy! Finally, we had to dance to a song and then everyone joined in a conga line. Yes, teachers can have fun too. The school also gave us a beautiful gift - a clock keychain that's engraved with the school emblem and says gracias! I was so touched! I feel so blessed with my job. The school is a wonderful environment and at last I can finally say that I love my job 200%! I am also becoming friends with my co-workers, now that we have worked together for a semester.

My school has a bilingual program that started with the first graders next year. Next year, we will have first and second graders in the program. Eventually, the school will (hopefully) have a bilingual program that encompasses the entire school. For this, the demand for English teachers will go up. Yesterday, my director told me that next semester I will be teaching a regular English class (not conversational) and I felt like it was the perfect opportunity to inquire about next year and asking about the possibility of me teaching in the program next year. She was excited and then today the Head of the School told me she had been looking for information and it looks like I will have to take a test in the spring in order to teach in the program. I would have my filologia (certification). Most people attend the university for five years in order to receive this certificate, but since I am a native speaker, the route is much easier. I am so excited because I also think this means I will be able to work at the school indefinitely!

These four months have been such a growing experience for me. And I appreciate you all following my journey! Don't fret, I will still be blogging away for you guys. Que tengas una navidad fenomenal! (Have a wonderful Christmas!)

Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment