Wednesday, December 15, 2010

New fashion statement....112/8

Yes, I know I have been writing less frequently the longer I've been here....Sorry. I've been so busy this past week. I had two final essays due at the beginning of the week and I'm in the middle of studying for final exams. I will be finished with tests on Friday afternoon. If I can just make it to then!

Last weekend was devoted to homework and paper writing. Friday afternoon I came home after a quick study session with a co-worker during our lunch break. The family I am staying with gave me a birthday present! It was a beautiful purple scarf and a necklace from a store that I've always wanted to go in, but never did because it looked expensive! It was Lourdes' birthday (the oldest.) I also had a gift for her that she loved - a scarf from Italy! Funny thing was it was also purple! Saturday, I knocked out most of my first paper and then met my friend Brenna to finish my Christmas shopping. We started off at Calle Princesa, which was slightly less crowded than Gran Via. But then we made our way to Plaza Mayor, because I had to get my grandma's present. There is a Christmas Market in the plaza. Thank goodness that was the only thing I had to get. I hated it! So many people, it was impossible to move! We ended our evening with yummy falafel at the cheap place in Sol. It was quite amusing though. The bootleggers were out in full force, selling purses and wallets. Which by the way, I'm mad at them. They only bring out the good ones at Christmastime. What's up with that? They were selling wallets that said Burberrys. Uhh, Burberry??!! Bootlegging in Spain, of course is illegal, so they have a complex system. Their goods are on a blanket that they hold with strings. Each corner has a string, so when the police come, they can just pull the strings and cover up the bags. Several times, the police rode through the block and flashed their lights. The first time, they picked up their stuff and walked off, but came right back. But by the second time, the police didn't even do anything. Typical bureaucracy of Spain....Sunday, I finished my paper and got halfway finished with the second. I also went to the movies with Lourdes to see the latest Chronicles of Narnia movie. Good one too! Now I need to go back home and read the books!

Sunday at lunch, I realized how much Americans overeat. The entire family and I shared one PINT of ice cream. Between the nine of us! And it was plenty for me! Just a few months ago, I could eat one pint of ice cream on a bad day! Sad. Now, please don't hold this against me in a few days when I'm stuffing my face with all sorts of food! I'm bracing myself for the weight gain. It's bound to happen. And I've worked so hard to lose it! Grrrr....

Today was quite funny. I was embarrassed. Of course, I woke up at the eleventh hour, as always. I threw on a pair of jeans, a shirt, and a pair of boots, because it was cold out today. It wasn't until my fourth and final class of the day, that my students pointed out I was wearing one brown boot and one black boot. I played it off and told them it was a style from the United States. Worst part is they actually believed me....I was so embarrassed! I literally ran out of the school and avoided eye contact with anyone and everyone on the walk home. (Which today took me all of three minutes. I've never walked so fast in my life!) I didn't want to see them laughing at me. In my defense, the only time they looked completely different was when I was standing in the sun. This being the reason I walked as close as possible to buildings on my way home, so I could be in the shade.....Needless to say, I will be allowing myself more time in the mornings to get ready so we don't have a repeat of today!

I can't believe that this time next week I will be doing last minute packing to come to Louisville for the holidays! I'm excited, but I won't get really excited until finals are over. I just can't bring myself to it yet!

Sorry, no time for quotes and words of the day....Too much studying to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment