Wednesday, September 1, 2010

First Day of Classes. 8/112

Can I go one day in Madrid without sweating like a pig? That is the million dollar question. Apparently, I cannot. My feet still have those stupid blisters. I sweated so much today, that my glasses rubbed a mark on my nose. I mean, that's bad when your glasses make you sweat....Today was the first day of classes, so I had to walk around Madrid with my backpack. Automatic sweat maker. For whatever reason, my metro line was being funny this morning, so I had to sit in the station for 10 minutes and wait. That may not seem long, but it is an eternity. Once I finally got on the subway, I noticed a couple and they were holding hands. The guy had the hand of his girlfriend sandwiched in between his. If I had a boyfriend, he would refuse to hold my sweaty palms, especially in the metro! As I walked through my transfer station, I noticed another couple having a full-blown making-out session, which is not uncommon to see in Madrid. But I kept wondering to myself, "Aren't these people hot like me??!! Why do they want to be smothered?" Before I left for Madrid, my Grandmother had one wish. Well, more like a command. She said that I could do anything I wanted except to find a boyfriend. I can guarantee that she has nothing to worry about. I am already not an affectionate person - I jump when someone touches me, just ask my Dad. I say all the time that I need my space. If I were to have a significant other, I would not be able to stand all the touchy, feely stuff on a normal day. And if I can't take that on a cool, winter day, imagine how I'm going to be in the middle of July. Not happening! I wouldn't want to hold hands and I wouldn't want him to put his arm around me. I would feel completely smothered. I'm pretty sure that this hypothetical boyfriend could contact some type of deadly disease from my sweaty palms....So Mimi has nothing to worry about. Plus, to quote Sol, "No quiero un hombre en mi vida!"

This morning, Kelsey and I took the metro to Bilbao. We were meeting a girl named Amy. She works for Oasis Madrid, the church that I am going to get involved with while I am here. So, here I was thinking that I have never been to this street before. I get off the metro, walk up to the street level, and straight ahead is the fountain that my friend Paige and I jumped in two years ago after Spain beat Russia in the semi-finals of the 2008 Euro Cup. I was cracking up and told Amy and Kelsey the story. We were going to go sit outside at a terraza, but the sky was dark, so we opted to go to an indoor cafe instead. This cafe is one of the oldest in Madrid and is very famous. Anyhow, I ordered the usual tostada con tomate y cafe con leche. The three of us talked about living in Madrid and then also about our faith. It was so refreshing to have a conversation about faith with fellow Christians. There is a church service this Saturday and I am so looking forward to attending it! The church also will have weekly study groups starting later on in the month. It will be nice to get involved with a church and to meet other people.

Today was the first day of school. Sadly, I don't have any pictures of myself. I think after a certain number of "first days", you no longer care what you look like on the first day! I only had two classes today, both political science classes. The first class lasted only fifteen minutes. The professor is from the U.K. and apparently every year, they have to attend trainings and conferences. This will be his first year teaching at the university, and he won't be in town until next week. Which means I don't have that class until next Wednesday! My second class lasted longer. I have theology, spanish, and another poli sci class tomorrow. One of the things I love about SLU, is that the student population is so diverse, especially amongst the permanent students. Yesterday, I met two Brazilians, a Dutch, and a person from Libya. Today in my classes, I also encountered a boy who is Dutch, but grew up in Slovakia, and speaks Spanish, a girl from Finland, another from Poland, and yet another from Colombia. This is in addition the guy from Louisville. Yes, Louisville. He graduated from Trinity. How funny is that? Anyways I think I am going to like the classes. I just need to get back in the groove of being a student again.

After classes, I came home and spent the night, talking with Elena and the kids. It stormed badly here, but thankfully, I was underground when it happened. The rain was much needed though, and also brought a wave of cool air to the city. I'm sure it wont't last for long, though.

I have been here for one week and I still cannot believe it. I don't have classes tomorrow until 2:30, so I will probably sleep in a bit. I need to catch up on my sleep, because I have stayed up way too late these past few nights.

More tomorrow.

Quote of the Day: "We are told never to cross a bridge until we come to it, but this world is owned by men who have 'crossed bridges' in their imagination far ahead of the crowd." -Anon

No comments:

Post a Comment