Wednesday, September 22, 2010

What's Your Name Again? 29/91.

I don't think I've been in the bed this early since I've arrived in Madrid....I am extra tired today. I talked with Mom and Dad last night and didn't go to bed until after one. Woke back up at seven thirty, so I was a little sleep deprived. On top of that, I had three straight lecture classes today, so that will kill even the most intelligent brain. I was planning on getting a head start on homework for next week, but I'm too tired to function. I'm really bummed that my sister's field hockey game is going to be streamed live tonight. Too bad it doesn't start until 1 A.M. Madrid time. I am going to set my alarm. I figure I can sleep for three hours, (which means I need to finish my blog in the next ten minutes) wake up and watch the game (or at least part of it), and then go back to sleep for another four and a half. Ask me tomorrow if that actually happens :)

I am really good with learning and remembering people's names. Or at least I thought I was. Out of the 400+ kids I have, I'm pretty sure I could only recognize twenty of them (if that) by face and name. Pretty sad. But I do love it when they run up to me in the hallway or when they actually speak to me out in public. Today on my way to the metro station from the university, one of the kids yelled my name and waved. So sad that I couldn't acknowledge him by name. I was halfway down the block anyways. I just saw a kid in khaki shorts, so I knew it was one of my students. I waved and said, "Hola!" That's always a safe choice....I feel bad always asking them to tell me their name again....

Last night, I got asked for directions, twice. Within a span of thirty minutes. I love when that happens. I guess that means I walk around like I live here :) The first person who asked me ended up being this guy who is here from China. He was going to look at the same apartment I looked at the other night. I figured it out when he said he was looking for an apartment. I warned him that is was awful. It was funny though, because I saw him pass by a few other people before stopping me. I guess it's because I'm Asian. That cracked me up. What cracked me up even more was we were talking to each other in Spanish. I used to think I was the only Asian who spoke Spanish. Here, I'm one of several thousand! We ended up exchanging phone numbers. (No, not in that way, people!) Offered to help him with the apartment search, since I just got through it myself.

I am enjoying some of my classes, disliking some others. I really enjoy my two poli sci classes with the new professor from the UK. Today in class we had a great discussion on Rousseau and his theory on social contracts. Learned a lot. It's a very small class, so we have productive discussions. It's nice not to be lectured at all the time. He said that after our final (we have to turn in a paper) that we could all go out for a coffee. Until we found out that the final doesn't start until 3:30 pm. So a coffee isn't appropriate at 3:30 in the afternoon. Think we'll be going somewhere else....Yes, professors can fraternize with their students here. I must say I love the informal setting of the school system here at both the universities and the grade schools. Hearing the kids call me Sarah instead of Ms. Trainor doesn't make me feel as old!

I had no clue people are so fascinated with people from the south. Not that I claim to be from the south, but I guess to a lot of people, I do have an accent. Even though I vehemently deny it! At least they say it's subtle. Is that a compliment? At school, some new friends were asking if I knew how to fry chicken and then the same thing happened at bible study. Funny how fried chicken is in high demand here. Maybe I could make some side money and charge per plate?! Jordan, my small group leader from church has already started calling me the Southern Belle! Kinda funny.

Anyways, I have well surpassed my deadline of ten o'clock. I still need to finish Spanish homework for tomorrow. Oh, remember how I blogged about having a bleeding paper in Spanish class from all the red marks my professor wrote on it? Well, I pulled a trick and wrote my last composition in red ink. He had to use a blue pen to make the corrections. Either I really improved my writing this time around, or changes in blue don't seem nearly as bad as red ink. Yes, I'm brilliant, I know.

Only two more days of taking the metro so early! Hip, hip, hooray!

Quote of the Day: "Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world.." -Lucille Ball

No comments:

Post a Comment