Sunday, September 26, 2010

Hello, Fall??!! 33/87.

I think I told you all this the other day, but I think fall is here. That is, until I read the ten-day forecast and saw where it's supposed to be a high of eighty one day this week. So is fall here or is summer still hanging around? Whatever it is, I can tell you this, my body is not liking it, at all. This morning, my sore throat was more sore than before. And to top it off, I woke up so exhausted. Had I not already paid for my train ticket, I would have gone back to sleep, no questions asked. All day today, I've been alternating between my throat medicine and Halls cough drops. (Which apparently, they sell in the candy aisles here.) As I am typing this, I am drinking a cup of tea. I took Mom's magic remedy - a combination of over-the-counter medicine. And no, I'm not going to share it with you :) That's what makes it magic, duh.

Our train ride to Toledo was only thirty minutes long. When we got to the train station, we decided to postpone our trip home by one hour, so we could have a little more time to do things. Toledo is a fairly large town, and things are spread out. On top of it all, Toledo is built on top of a hill, so you can imagine what the streets are like. It's safe to say that I definitely got my exercise in for the day. As soon as we arrived to the center plaza, I walked into a cafe where I'd eaten before. I have been craving Matzapan, and Toledo is the best place to get it from. I probably consumed about 800 calories and 300% of my daily sugar intake within five minutes, but it was so worth it.

We spent the day visiting different places. Toledo is a city that is the confluence of the Christian, Muslim, and Jewish faiths in Spain. The city has cathedrals, mosques, and synagogues and all three types are beautiful to see. To top it off, the famous Spanish painter, El Greco lived in Toledo, and one of his most famous paintings, the Burial of the Count of Orgaz is inside of a church.

It was really nice to get out of Madrid for the day. Yes, Madrid is my current home, but every once in awhile, you have the urge to get out of the busy city and go see a different part of Spain. The weather was absolutely perfect today and it was spent with new friends.

We ended the day sitting at a bar/cafe that had the best view of Toledo. I have always said that Toledo is one of my favorite places in Spain. The panoramic view that you get from this particular part of town is so breathtaking.
I cannot believe that my weekend is already over :( I feel like I have been moving non-stop. Tomorrow I have my appointment at the police station to apply for my residency card. Having this card will make life a lot easier for me! It will also allow me to get in free to some museums and other points of interest, for free! Gotta love the free stuff.

So, the funny thing is, I took tons of goofy pictures at this viewpoint. Some of you may know that I definitely have a wild and crazy side to me. (Although really, I don't consider Running with the Bulls crazy....) Anyways, the pictures were mainly to get on Mom's nerves. she is such a Mom when it comes to my picture taking urges. We were at Niagara Falls, and I really wanted to sit on this ledge to take a picture, so it would have the wow effect. That party pooper wouldn't let me do it. So, without killing myself, I'm going to try and take some really neat pictures this year. Speaking of Mom, let me clarify, the bar that I mentioned earlier needs to be called a cafe. I can't have all you people thinking I go to bars on a daily basis! The thing is, every place that serves any type of beverage is just about called a bar. It's the same thing as a cafe. So if I call it a bar, realize it's a Spanish thing and not a "Sarah is turning into a drinker" thing!!!! But, back to the pictures, I hope you all enjoy them - they are on my facebook page!

Okay, I have to go to sleep. I need my eight hours of beauty rest :) How else am I going to be able to keep you all entertained?!

Quote of the Day: "But I always think that the best way to know God is to love many things." -Vincent Van Gogh




1 comment:

  1. Yes, I am a mom and Yes, I want you to be safe! Stay off the walls :)

    Glad you clarified the bar/cafe.

    Love you, Mom

    ReplyDelete