Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Live on purpose. 28/92

If I had to offer one piece of advice to you today, it would be to live your life as if it were on purpose. I mean, shouldn't we all have something that we want to get out of life? Whether it be to have a nice job and be successful. Or to have a family and raise kids. Do we go through life only wishing for that one thing? Or do we plan our lives with the end goal in mind?

Tonight, I had had my first small group meeting with church. I absolutely loved it. We mainly talked and ate (hey, that's the Spanish way of life!), but we also had a few minutes of seriousness. The one thing that stuck out in my mind was that each of us ended up in Madrid for a reason and that it should be our goal to be a positive light in our environment. So, yes, I am living on purpose. There is clearly a reason why God worked out this amazing plan for me to come here. It has been too good to be true - it's not purely coincidence that I have a job, am going to school, and am living my dream. All of this happened for a reason. The least I can do to reciprocate what has been given to me is to try and live how we are told to live. We all wrote our names on a post-it and stuck it on the area of the city where we spend most of our time. It was really neat to see how everyone was spread out. If each of us could be a positive influence on just one person, what an awesome thing that would be!


I have started to make friends and I am so glad. The group that I joined is mainly comprised of young adults. Some of the people are from the states, some from the UK, and my friend Leigh-Ann (from North Ireland) is also in the group with me. I met a girl, Clare-Ann, who is from South Korea. She just moved here and will be here for the next year as well. We have already talked about getting together and eating some Korean food! YES!!!! I think a group of us will be traveling to Toledo this weekend, for the day. The funny thing is, we all said that we have been looking for a group of people to hang out with and that we all wanted the group to come from a church. Yet another example of how God puts everything together.

This morning, I went through my usual morning workout. One day, remind me to count how many stairs I walk before 9:00. With a thirty pound backpack on my back, might I add. These past few days the temperature has been in the low 70's. Not looking forward to the weather getting hot again. I'm ready for fall. I mean, I do need to put all sixteen cardigans I packed to use. (Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating, but I really did pack a lot of them! You can wear them in layers....so practical!)

Being the brilliant person I am, I came up with some activities at the eleventh hour for my classes. I love my fifth and sixth grade classes. They are so much fun. I'm trying to bribe them though to speak in English all the time. Still struggling with that one. Especially since they all know I speak Spanish. I'm really enjoying talking with all of the other teachers. They are all so nice to me! I really enjoy the fifteen minutes or so I get to spend with them during our coffee break.

Gosh, it's late. I need to go to bed. Only three more days of my commute and then I can walk to school! Yipee!

Quote of the Day: "Begin each day as if it were on purpose." -Mary Ann Radmacher (what's scary about this is that one of my high school math teachers was named Mary Anne Rademacher. We affectionately called her Rady Paddy....)

This song has been on my mind since church on Saturday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-afZJ9_TIM

No comments:

Post a Comment