Tuesday, September 7, 2010

Changes 14/106.

Two weeks down. 14 to go. Until I will be home, that is. Time is really flying by. It just seems like yesterday that I was leaving Louisville. My classes are officially in full swing. The new professor finally arrived today and I must admit that I am a fan of his already. I really feel like the university is like the United Nations. In my International Human Rights class, there are only seven students. And between all of us, we come from 8 different countries. (One student is bi-racial.) It's amazing. I'm really excited to be taking poli sci classes with such a diverse group of people. I feel that I will learn in an open, diverse environment and be able to hear things from other perspectives, not just an American point of view. I don't think that would happen back home. I met with my advisor yesterday and know what classes I have left to take. I will for sure, be out in four semesters, thank God. I will graduate with two degrees - a B.A. in Spanish and a B.A. in Political Science with a concentration in International Relations. BAM!
I think I am finally over the "I'm upset about the fact that it's going to take this long to graduate," phase. I pictured my life so differently when I graduated high school. I am supposed to be in my final year of law school, not two years away from having my bachelors....But, God works in mysterious ways. I have had awesome opportunities to travel, to meet wonderful people, and to gain valuable work experience. Had I gone straight through school, I never would have done any of the aforementioned. I've done things that most people can only dream about. And the fact that I'm living out one of my dreams right now, is just fabulous. This past year I had the opportunity to travel to Serbia for two weeks. This semester I am taking a Democracy of Eastern Europe class and thanks to all the information I gleaned on my trip, I am the most versed out of anyone in the class on the former Yugoslavia. Pretty cool. I do feel though, that in two years, I will be ready to come home. I already feel like I'm missing out on so much. I have grown incredibly close to my parents over this past year. Come to think of it, we actually like each other now :) Leaving them was especially hard. But, I am just blessed beyone belief to have a wonderful support system.

Last night, I was able to watch the Real Housewives of New Jersey reunion part one. WOW, is all I can say. As soon as I finish tonight's blog, I'm watching part two. I have been waiting all day to watch it! I have my sour patch kids next to me. It will feel like I'm in the movies!

Please pray that I will be able to make friends. I don't make friends easily....I have to warm up to people and it's because of things that have happened in the past. It's also very hard because I live far out from the center of town, so meeting up with others after school is difficult. And not to mention the fact that I have yet to meet a person younger than 21 since I've been here....I am hoping that the people I meet at church will become friends. I am going to join a small group, so that should definitely help!

The weather today was surprisingly cool. It was (only) 77 degrees, but there was a strong wind that actually gave me a few chills throughout the day. Shocking, I know. It's supposed to be the same tomorrow, so I am going to wear a thin cardigan over a shirt. Speaking of clothes, Europeans say that Americans have absolutely no taste in fashion. Guess I will have to prove them wrong. (Of course, with things that are hanging in my closet. The person whom this is directed at knows exactly who she is!)

I am really enjoying this time that I have to spend with myself. Opportunities like this are rare, so I am going to cherish this time carefully. I grew tremendously as a person the first time I was here, so I am excited to see what comes out of this go-round. I am a firm believer that you must first love God, then yourself. Because if you don't love you, then who will? Life can be wonderful, but it can also be painful. That's just the way it is. It is what you make out of it. We are supposed to live each day like it's our last, because you can never get today back. You need to live each day, as if it were on purpose. Make the most of it. The change in weather today got me thinking about how we have different seasons throughout our lifetime. I just happen to be in a season of re-discovering myself. What season are you in?
Quote of the Day: "Later that day I got to thinking about relationships. There are those that open you up to something new and exotic, those that are old and familiar, those that bring up lots of questions, those that bring you somewhere unexpected, those that bring you far from where you started, and those that bring you back. But the most exciting, challenging and significant relationship of all is the one you have with yourself. And if you can find someone to love the you you love, well, that's just fabulous."

1 comment:

  1. Sounds exciting, Sarah! You are so blessed to have such wonderful experiences! I'm sure you'll make plenty of friends, by the way:)

    ReplyDelete