Monday, September 20, 2010

Great news! 27/93.

So, I know I've been talking about being stressed lately. To make a long story short, I found out last week that I needed to be out of my current home by the first of October. This entire ordeal has been rather tense, to say the least. I've had to squeeze in appointmets to see apartments in between work and school. Several apartments fell through and the one I viewed tonight was awful.

On Friday, I found out I wasn't selected to be the fourth roommate for an apartment with girls from school and then a few hours later, I received a text from someone saying the apartment I was supposed to look at was no longer available. I even started wondering if I was an undesirable person to live with! I returned to the house down, thinking I was going to be homeless in a matter of days. I went online and looked at a website again and found a listing that had just been posted. It was for a flat within my price range and in my desired neighborhood. I called the number and asked if I could come see the apartment. On my way out, I peeked out the window and noticed a rainbow in the sky. I took a deep breath and smiled. All of a sudden, a wave of calmness came over me and the rainbow told me that everything was going to be okay.

The apartment is a 10-15 minute walk from school and a 15-20 minute walk to my job. I loved the two girls who were looking for the third roommate. But, I had given up hope because they said they would call me in a few days. My thought process (I'm a strong Type-A personality and want answers right away!) told me that if they liked me, they would have offered the room to me on the spot. I later found out that a friend of one of the girl's was looking at the apartment, so I knew it wasn't going to happen.

On Saturday, I think I told you all, I saw another rainbow in Chillaron. To see two rainbows in less than twenty four hours was a sign to me from God. I knew that no matter what, everything was going to work out, even if I had to sleep on the futon at my friend Amy's apartment. (She offered this the other day at lunch.) Yesterday, I had an amazing worship experiencce at church and it was further confirmation that everything was going to be just fine.

Two weeks ago, I encountered a family at the school who recently moved back to Spain after spending a year in South Bend, Indiana. The mother told me if I ever needed anything, to call her. I passed my number along to her son and tonight, she called me. I asked her if she knew anyone renting a room or who needed an English teacher. She said they were looking for someone to live with them who was a native English speaker. They live very close to school. I explained to her my current situation and how it wasn't working out like I thought it would and told her I have a busy schedule and can't be a baby-sitter. She seemed fine with that and I was thinking that I had found a solution to my problems.

But, God had bigger things in mind for me. Tonight, Cristina (one of the girls at the apartment I really liked) called me and said they decided that wanted to ask me to be their roommate! To me, those two rainbows were a sign of the two opportunities I received today. After talking with my parents, grandmother, and Sol (my spanish mother), I've decided to go with my gut and take the apartment. As much as I would love to live rent free, I need my own space and the freedom to make my own schedule. (I haven't had the best of luck with roommates!) But at least here I will have my own room with a door to close if I need some privacy.

I am moving in this Saturday! I am trying to find someone with a car who can help me move so I don't have to take a taxi and spend unnecessary money. The flat is furnished, so the only things I will have to buy are sheets, towels, a laundry hamper, hangers, and food. I will no longer have to take the metro to work and school - I can walk! Also, high rises are everywhere in Madrid since space is limited, but my mother will be happy to know that this flat is on the first (what Americans would consider the second) floor. I'm surprised she didn't even ask me that tonight. Wow, she is really taking this empty-nester/free at last thing seriously lol.

I feel as if a huge weight has been lifted off my shoulders. I am so excited to move. This will only be the second flat I've ever had. (Yes, I've been freeloading off of my parents! And yes, they miss me tremendously. Just ask them!) I'm really happy to have spanish roommates. They don't speak english at all, so I'm looking forward to conversing in only spanish. More importantly, we have extra pull out beds for guests, so now you can come visit me!

Now, this "dream" that I've been living in is really become a reality for me. Looking back, I've realized that God has his hand in this the ENTIRE time. Not that I ever doubted him, but it's still neat to look back at all of his work. I was upset back in May when I decided I couldn't afford moving here. But a six weeks later, God opened windows left and right. And now, here I am, able to not only live here, but to work here! It's amazing. So many of you all have told me that you are so proud of me for going after my dreams, but to quote my mother, I cannot take credit for any of it. It's all God.

Quote of the Day: "The future belongs to those who believe in the beauty of their dreams." -Eleanor Roosevelt (one of my role models)

1 comment:

  1. Great news, Sarah. It's so neat to see God working in you and you recognizing it!!

    ReplyDelete