Saturday, September 25, 2010

Losing My Mind. 31/89

I made quite easily, my biggest mistake since I arrived in Madrid. I gave my room in the flat away. Yep, you read that right. I was all set to move in tomorrow morning. I packed up my room tonight. (Sidenote, packing round two was MUCH easier than the first go round.) This afternoon, I called the flat because I needed to make sure that it was okay to come at 9 am instead of 11 am. (A complete stranger from the church, whom I’ve never met, had graciously offered to drive me into town!) Miriam answered the phone and I soon found out that this entire thing had turned into a disaster.

Earlier this week, I received an email from someone. To be honest, I half read it because as soon as I saw who it was from, I realized it was from the girl who lived in another flat I looked at on Sunday. I told her that I had already found another apartment and didn’t need to rent the room that was available. Turns out, this email was from Miriam. The other girl’s name was also Miriam. So basically, I told the person that I was planning to move in with that I no longer needed to move in with them, when I really did need to move in with them. This wave of panic came over me as I was talking on the phone with her. They re-posted their ad and have already found another girl to rent the room….(insert cricket noises here.)

Thankfully, I’m not going to be homeless in the morning. My friend, Amy from church, had previously said that if push came to shove, I could stay with her temporarily. Well, I’ve been pushed AND shoved with this whole, “Finding a flat” thing. I have to admit, I’m quite tired of it! Is this my “Welcome to the Real World of being an adult” party that only days ago I wondered when it was going to happen? I cannot believe what I did. Of course the email was in Spanish, but it didn’t even occur to me that this was THE Miriam and not the other one. I had only received emails from Cristina, the other girl, so that’s why it didn’t click that it was the other girl living in the flat. I was so excited about moving in with them. Yes, I was a tad bit worried about living on such a tight budget, but I was looking for families to teach private English lessons to on the side and today I was successful with that! More on that later. Why is it that I’ve had no problems with comprehending Spanish until now? And to top it off, it was the worst thing to misunderstand!....

I understand that everything happens for a reason. Obviously, there is a reason why I goofed up and told these girls that I didn’t need the room. To make it worse, I really needed/wanted to talk to my Mommy and the internet in house isn’t working today. My poor parents. They have been worried sick with this whole thing and it’s been quite the rollercoaster for them. I feel so bad because I know they are worrying and to make matters worse, we’re separated by this huge ocean, so there’s really nothing they can do 

I called this family from school that was looking for a native speaker to live with them. I’m going to visit them and see their flat tomorrow. I’m sure the mother thinks I’m crazy. I told her on Monday I was looking for a room, only to tell her on Tuesday that I no longer needed it. And here I am on Friday, asking about it again. And let’s not forget that I told the girls who I was going to live with that I didn’t need a room when I really did need it. I’m losing my mind….They always say it’s the first to go. Well, I think mine is beyond gone.

Moving on to other things, because I’m getting frustrated. A few days ago, Griselda, who is the head of the primary school and technically my boss, approached me and asked if I would mind working with a girl in one of the third grade classes who speaks fluent English. I assume that the lessons are too easy for her. So for two hours a week, she and I are going to meet and just talk. Today was our first day together. Come to find out, she and her sister are adopted from China! They spent six months in Boston, so that’s why her English is wonderful. The mother also speaks very good English as well. She also has a sister who is another student of mine. I met their mother after school today and ended up giving her my phone number/email. I had asked her if she knew of anyone looking for an English teacher. When I had the flat, I realized that I needed to make some side money from teaching English in order to pay for groceries, bills, etc. The mother works very fast! This afternoon, I received a call from one of the mom’s at school. I teach both of her sons. I am going to meet her hopefully tomorrow and it looks like I will be teaching the boys on Mondays and Wednesdays! Elena thinks I am going to end up turning people down, because I will be in high demand! Next week the kids are having exams in English, so after the results are sent home, lots of parents will probably realize their kids need private lessons. It is so easy for Americans to get jobs here teaching English!

I really do love my students and I’m pretty sure they love me too. Everytime they see me, they always run up to me or yell my name in the hallway. It makes me smile. Today, one of the girls even gave me a silly band. (Here they are called Magic Bands!) It is in the shape of a high heeled shoe – how perfect for me!

Eat, Pray, Love came out tonight in Spain. I think I may go and see it tomorrow night. I was planning on walking across the street to the movie theatre to see it, but oh wait, I forgot I can’t now. Because that movie theatre is across the street from what was supposed to be my new home. Ugh. Madre Mia!!!! I’m really looking forward to Toledo on Sunday. It will be a nice getaway. I cannot WAIT to eat some matzapan either! Toledo is famous for it.

I’m going to sleep now. I was planning on doing some homework, but I’m too tired and the guy from church is picking me up at 8:30 in the morning!!!!

Quote of the Day: "This too shall pass."

No comments:

Post a Comment