Friday, September 10, 2010

Return of the killer blisters 17/103.

Yep, my best friends in the whole wide world have graced me with their presence, yet again. What did I do to deserve this?! Thankfully, I was at Sol's house, so she gave me a band-aid. I am fighting sleep right now, so excuse me if this is short and completely out of chronological order. I will try my best.

My day started at 7:30 this morning, which is so depressing for me. The alarm was set for 7, but I didn't hear it. It was very cool this morning and I was actually cold. I will have to remember to wear a jacket or sweater in the mornings. The trains were crowded, but my commute this morning took me only 30-35 minutes, station to station. Which was a good thing, because I kinda sorta got lost this morning. Today was my first day getting off at this particular station. I was supposed to take the Guzman El Bueno exit, which I did. Problem was, there were two exits named Guzman El Bueno. I took the exit to the right, when I should have taken the one to the left. I started walking and realized that I had walked way too far. However, I did find a little cafeteria and bought a coffee and a neopolitana, which was probably the best breakfast I've ever had. It is fila dough, filled with cream and chocolate, but not a heavy amount. On top is a glaze that is exactly like the glaze they put on croissants. For all those familiar with WW, I hate to think how many points it is. My mother pointed out that I need to save money and calories, so I have decided to eat one, only once a day. I mean once a week :)

We had a faculty meeting this morning. I am one of four new teachers to the school this year. The meeting seemed long, probably because I was lost during half of it. After the meeting, we had mass, that was of course, in Spanish. I am not catholic, but am religious. I've been to several masses before, the first one being four years ago when my mother dragged me to Hellen's freshman mass at Assumption. The two of us were hilarious, because we had no clue what to do. Of course, Daddy, who used to be an altar boy, wasn't there to help us and we had to go at it alone. But thanks to that experience and a few other ones, I at least know the basics. So, when the priest told us to stand up and greet one another, I knew to say "Paz contigo." The idea of how small of a world we live in was really put into perspective for me during the mass. I was comforted to see that we pray for the same things even though we speak a different language. Over and over again, I heard "Depende de nosotros" - depends on us. That's the motto of the staff. We were told that we all have a responsibility to teach these students, academically and spiritually. It was really a great experience. After mass, we had a lunch gathering. They had prepared spanish tapas (appetizers) and I met several teachers. It was nice to talk to them and I really am excited about the upcoming year. The school is such a warm place to be.

Tonight for dinner, we ate conidos, a type of bean that is a typical food of Madrid. It was wonderful, as always.

Sorry for the brief blog, but as we say in Spanish, "Estoy muerta." I'm dead.

Quote of the Day: "Character isn't something you were born with and can't change, like your fingerprints. It's something you weren't born with and must take responsibility for forming." -Jim Rohn

No comments:

Post a Comment